Friday, March 4, 2011

The making of Japanese food sample – Tempura


I went to the Natas Fair 2011 and my greatest joy is not signing up a great deal package but can experience the making of Japanese food sample – Tempura from the master in Japan. It is incredible technique and the “Tempura” looked so REAL but can’t be eaten. It was made from sort of wax, I guess. There are so many samples there, sushi, sashimi, kobe beef, pasta.. 

Other food sample, which looked so REAL

Yummy sushi, lettuce and Tempura

The exhibitor is “Sample Village Iwasaki” and the master are really friendly and helpful to show how is the making of the food sample and I am glad to have a chance to “make” my first Tempura sample.  It look tasty and yummy, but with strong smell of wax.. haha. Otherwise I think I will eat it. I have been waiting patiently for my turn to experience the making of"Tempura".

I am queue up and waiting for my turn to try out the technique
Attached is the making of the “Prawn Tempura”, 


Firstly soak my hands in the warm water, then pour the yellow color wax into the water. Of course it required some technique in this step. I think need to pour the wax from higher level so that it would form the crispy and puffy form of texture to intimidate the real Tempura. 

Then place the wax prawn on the wax and wrap it. This part also required some skills as it need to be done gently, as cannot press the wax too hard otherwise it will damage the initial crispy and puffy texture that created in the previous steps. Then, need to put the prawn Tempura into cold water for a while. It is done. Take a look closer, does it look REAL?

Right side is my "creation".. self-making sample of Tempura

No comments:

Post a Comment