Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I came from Bentong - My Hometown

Bentong is my hometown. It is a small town in surrounded by mountains located in the state of Pahang Darul Ehsan in peninsula Malaysia. Thanks to the natural landscape in my Bentong, it is a strategic place to grow lots of plantations. There are fruits plantation, ginger plantation, palm plantation and so forth. Among the famous fruits that grown in Bentong is durian. I ever saw some stalls in other bigger cities selling durians and labeled the durians as "Bentong Durian" or "Bentung Durian".

Durian is named as "king of fruits" while mangosteen is "queen of fruits". There are many species of durian and the best type is called "Mau San Wang" (in Mandarin) or "Mao San Wong" (in Cantonese). Durian is seasonal fruits and normally is available during January and July or August. I am blessed as there are lots of durian plantations in my hometown and I am able to taste the best and the fresh durians.

Ginger is another famous plantation in my hometown. That ginger is also named as "Bentong ginger" and it is extra hotter than the normal ginger grown in other places. It is good for cooking especially Chinese do believe ginger can "expel cooling". It is useful especially to make the dishes for confinement food for new mothers, who has just delivered babies. 

There are lots of birds in Bentong too, some are glass swiftlets, and some are swallow and some swiftlets which is precious for the bird nest. However, I personally do not know how to differentiate any of those. Something to be mindful is to be careful of any droppings when you are walking on the street especially during evening time and near to any of the lamppost.

There is also a nice waterfall and natural hot spring in Bentong. Sometimes I just feel amaze how could there be hot spring as there is no volcano in Malaysia. It is something amazing and is a gift of the nature. I will introduce more about the waterfall and hot spring in Bentong sometime later.

As a residence from Bentong, I am proud to said that I am blessed as I can grown up in this peacefully nice town that full of friendly people and lots of natural resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment